Cake Is Happening
Cake Is Happening is a colourful, artistic and (most importantly) delicious cake business based in N12. I’m Kate and I single handedly develop the recipes, bake, design and create beautiful cakes for any occasion in my little cake room.
The business started just over three years ago now, almost by accident. I was suffering from postnatal depression and anxiety when a friend asked me to make a cake for her son’s birthday party. Baking was something I had always enjoyed and the planning and process of making the cake gave me a spark of joy and energy that I hadn’t felt in a long time. Everyone at the party loved the cake and encouraged me to start a business. Admittedly terrified at the prospect I decided to give it a go. So I did my food hygiene course, registered with the local council, purchased insurance and was ready to go.
It’s been a real rollercoaster of emotions but I am absolutely thrilled with my business.
Especially as I was able to keep bringing joy to people throughout the pandemic. It’s
developed into the creative dream I didn’t know I had.
I hope you enjoy my creations! And please come and visit me at www.instagram.com/cakeishappening or www.cakeishappening.co.uk to find out more about me and my business.
I first fell in love with baking when I realised it was magic! It had to be, for the simple fact that the same weight of butter, sugar, flour
and eggs with a dash of vanilla produces the most delicious, light and fluffy cupcakes.
• 3 large eggs weighed in their shell (app 170g)
• caster or granulated sugar
• self raising flour
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla
• You will also need a 12 hole muffin tray and muffin cases.
Preheat your oven to 140C
- Weigh the eggs and measure out the same amount of margarine, sugar and self
- Put the margarine and sugar in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for a few minutes until pale and fluffy. You can do this by hand if you don’t have a mixer, it just takes a little longer.
- Add one egg and one tablespoon of flourand beat until combined.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- When the eggs are all incorporated add the remainder of the flour, mixing gently at first so that the mixture doesn’t go everywhere!
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Scoop the mixture between twelve muffin cases in a twelve hole muffin tray.
- Bake for 25 mins then check that a skewer or toothpick comes out clean after being inserted in the cupcake. This will tell you that the cupcakes are ready. If the skewer has any mixture clinging to it, bake for three more minutes and check again. Once the cupcakes are cool you can decorate and enjoy them. Make a simple icing with icing sugar and boiled water. Or a buttercream or ganache if you are feeling more adventurous..
Contact: [email protected]